Who’s down to eat their way to beauty and health!? There are so many types of food you can eat to shine from within and keep strong and healthy. One out of many is bone broth! Read on to find out about the benefits and how to make your very own bone broth.
Animal bones are infused with collagen, minerals and amino acids that keep your bones, joints, skin and immunity strong. Beef bones are said to have a higher nutrient value than chicken bones. You can find bone or chicken broth online or in some grocery stores, however it will cost you roughly $10/ 750ml. Making it at home is much more cost efficient.
I buy beef bones from a butcher at a higher end grocery store or a regular butcher shop. They come in pre-packaged frozen bundles from $11-$15 and it gives you 4-5 bones.
- Beef Bones
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar (helps draw out the collagen from the bones)
- Roast the bones and veggies in the oven for 40 min, this will add more flavor to the stock
- Put the bones in a big pot covered with filtered water and apple cider vinegar. Just enough water to cover the bones
- Add the whole onion and whole carrot
- Begin to boil the stock, covered, for a long, long time
The longer you boil the broth; the more nutrients will be drawn from the bones. You can boil this for an entire day if you want.
Once you feel like it’s done, let the broth cool before putting it in the fridge or freezer. I store mine in individual mason jars so I can drink them day by day. A layer of fat (gelatin) will form on the surface once cooled, that actually means you made a very good broth! Just scrape it off and warm it up.